With that as background, we thought it would be interesting to examine trends -- as measured by google search volumes -- for endurance and other sporting events to see what insights emerge when analyzing the following:
- Major Marathon Trends: Boston, New York City, Marine Corps, Chicago and London Marathons
- Major Endurance Sports Trends: Marathon, Triathlon, Tour de France, Half Marathon, Running
- Major US Sporting Events: Boston Marathon, Ironman, Indy 500, US Open Tennis, Masters Golf
- Major Sports Trends: Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey, Golf
- Major Leisure Sports Trends: Swimming, Cycling, Running, Golf, Tennis
On this one, hints are found in our Boston, New York, and Chicago Marathon Analysis: The Web Analytics View.
Additional, selected charts comparing races, events, sports, etc., are below. Any surprises in the data? Yes, there are. Can you spot them? What makes them stand out? What are the business implications of your insights? Let me know by email, if you'd like to. Best answers will be added to this post soon.