This is what it's like to race the Ironman Triathlon World Championship in Kona. We shot photos on race day, from the swim start, to the bike course through the lava fields, to Alii Drive and to the finish -- 17 hours of inspiring images captured in this 3 minute video.
Photos by Raymond Britt (also presented here: Ironman Kona 2012: 140.6 Miles of Images). Music by Emmy Award-winning composer and electric violinist Mark Wood from his CD Guts, Grace and Glory.
Images were taken at the following locations/times:
1. Swim Start
2. First Mile of the Bike Course
3. Third Mile Bike Course (same spot as #2, as bikes return to Alii Drive)
4. Waikoloa Bike Course, Heading Toward Hawi
5. Mile 107 Bike Course, near Airport, riders returning to transition
6. Alii Drive -- runners in both directions
-- Men's leaders returning from the turnaround
-- Women's leaders heading toward the turnaround
7. Run Course -- runners in both directions to/from Energy Lab
-- Men's leaders returning from the energy lab toward the finish
-- Women's leaders heading to, and soon after, returning from, the Energy Lab
8. Alii Drive Finish Line Before Sun Sets
9. Back on run course, same location as #7, age groupers running to/from Energy Lab
10. Alii Drive Finish Line After Dark
For more about racing Ironman Kona, see www.RaceKona.com and www.RunTri.com.